Not everyone is excited about picture day. If you struggle with body image issues, you may not be looking forward to having yearbook pictures in NY. Group photo poses are particularly stressful, with many students comparing themselves to their peers. Luckily, ABC School Photographers has many tips for posing in photos.
Learn the advantages of working with a local school photographer in NY.
Maintaining A Positive Body Image
Self-image is fluid, changing over time, but it can be particularly vulnerable during the high school years when competition is fierce for sports, grades, friends, and romantic interests. Body image is a big part of how teens view themselves as they struggle to meet the often impossible standards of their peers, family, and the media. Consider these ways to start improving body image today:
Use social media wisely
These days, you would be hard-pressed to find a teenager who is not active on at least one social media network. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat may be convenient for connecting with friends but they can also be the source of a lot of negativity for males and females alike. Selfies and filters create unrealistic expectations that are not possible to live up to. Do not be afraid to unfollow accounts or hashtags that trigger you or make you feel bad about yourself. Take breaks from social media when necessary. When you are online, find supportive communities that are focused on body positivity and encouragement.
Body image is quite often not grounded in reality, but rather in the perception that your body somehow does not measure up properly to those around you. Whether or not you are overweight, engaging in physical activity is beneficial for the body and mind. Exercise releases endorphins that improve mood and reduce stress, helping to combat those negative feelings when they come rushing in. Getting to know your body and all it is capable of also helps to improve the way you look at it, rather than focusing on your flaws.
Change Your Self Talk
Though body image is a result of all the influences in your life, ultimately it is your perception of those messages you receive. Take the time to remind yourself that you are worthy. Take a good look in the mirror daily and give yourself a pep talk. Write positive affirmations and place them on your desk, the refrigerator, your locker, or your phone, so you will see them throughout the day. Keep a list of things you love about yourself and surround yourself with people who will build you up instead of tearing you down.
Tips For Posing In Photos
Fostering a positive self-image increases confidence and it is sure to show in your yearbook pictures. When it is time for your group photo poses, keep these things in mind to look your best in a crowd.
- Look at pictures of yourself, focusing on what you like rather than what you don’t. Use those as examples for what you will do in your yearbook pictures. Take some practice shots ahead of time.
- Wear flattering clothes. Select an outfit that looks good on you rather than simply following trends, but make sure that you are comfortable.
- Practice poses ahead of time. Be aware of your best features and use them to your advantage. Positioning your body at a 45 degree angle has a slimming effect and also softens harsh expressions.
- Go easy on yourself and let yourself have fun! If you are miserable, it will show. Remember that the most important thing is to be yourself!
- Use a professional photographer in NY who understands how all the factors combine to create perfect photos.
Are you ready for your best yearbook pictures? Book an appointment with ABC School Photographers today.